A ship registered under the Turkish Flag was detained at the Port of Ravenna, Italy. The ship arrives at the Port of Ravenna, Italy, to discharge cargo from India. Inspection and detention were made under the supervision of the PSC within the scope of the Paris MoU, and 36 deficiencies were detected in the inspection.
In the statement made by the Turkish Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, General Directorate of Maritime Affairs, it was stated that the success of the Paris MOU White List, which was achieved through hard work, was overshadowed. With the arrest in question, it was reported that the number of ships held within the scope of the Paris MoU reached 7 (4 in Italian ports) in 2022, and that measures should be taken regarding the issue.
Detained ship in Ravenna port, Italy:
- It’s made in 2008
- Being under one of the Classification Organizations (RO) authorized by the Administration since its construction,
- within the scope of the Tokyo MoU, which it has entered in recent years.
It is registered in the Turkish ship registry due to its successful past in inspections.
As the reason for the detention of the ship in the port of Ravenna stated as below:
- The ship’s special survey time is approaching
- Complete change of crew
It was stated that vessel was detained in the first port under the Turkish Flag, which was under control due to its deficiencies.
In order to preserve the Paris MOU White Flag status, which was achieved as a result of intense efforts, the General Directorate of Maritime Affairs decided to take the following measures for ships that have just transferred to the Turkish flag:
- Flag change surveys will be carried out by recognized organizations (RO) within the scope of at least intermediate survey and if required by recognized organizations, they are carried out within the scope of renewal survey,
- Ensuring that the ship arrives at Turkish ports in order to be ready for inspections, and in cases where this is not possible/effective, the flag change inspections are carried out together with the inspection experts of the General Directorate of Maritime Affairs and recognized organizations inspectors,
- Sending DPA & superintendents to the ship by the operating company, ensuring that the ship and her crew are ready by ensuring that they sail with the ship, and that the necessary maintenance attitude of the ship is carried out,
- After making sure that the crew are familiar with the ship and her duties, sailing to the ports covered by the Paris MoU
Regarding the ships that will register the Turkish Flag, it was stated that the flag change should be carried out as specified in this instruction and that in case of any hesitation, the General Directorate of Maritime Affairs should be contacted.
You can share your views on the subject with us in the comments section below.
SOURCE: IMEAK DTO